Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dolly Dilemma

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Angry

    Ok, everyone I got AGOT 21 at MCM. I'm having some issues. First, I know I want her to be a historical, not a girl of Today. I don't know what time period to put her in, and I don't have a clue as to how to name her. I think naming will be easier if I know a time period. I don't really like to buy non-AG clothes for my dolls, so I'd like to pick an era close to that of an existing historical. What do ya'll think?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think she would be really cute as a little southern belle type, and that would be pretty close to Addy's time I think?...or maybe a girl in the 50s? She's be cute in that Agot poodle skirt outfit...and she could wear some of Molly's clothes because many people here have been saying that Molly's newer clothes look more like the 50's than the 40's.
    If you pick a southern belle character I'd name her: Isadora, Alice, Ruby, Susannah, or Cecilia.
    If you pick a 50's girl character I'd name her: Augusta, Shirley, or Mary Jane.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 19, 2005 05:21 PM: Message edited by: StarTrekCaptain ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What about just after WWII - or maybe just before?

    Then she'd have tons of clothes. And my mother, who would be Molly if she were an AG, says the styles from the pre- and immediately post-war years weren't that different because of all the rationing. The rationing didn't end overnight.

    Maybe she could be from England, fleeing from the Blitz. Or a Jewish girl in hiding, sent here to escape the Nazis.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by StarTrekCaptain:
    I think she would be really cute as a little southern belle type, and that would be pretty close to Addy's time I think?...or maybe a girl in the 50s? She's be cute in that Agot poodle skirt outfit...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">She could be a little poor girl in Philadelphia(some of Kirsten's clothes would be pretty close) who could help Addy see how lucky she is (remember, poor whites were regarded almost as badly as the freed slaves in some places). Addy could help her learn to read and be "proper". Remember the sharecropper in "Roots"? The one the slaves managed to get hired as the overseer, so everyone - including him and his very pregnant wife - would be treated fairly and have enough to eat? Poor whites were practically as bad off as freed slaves. Addy could learn that MANY had it rough during the Civil War/Reconstruction; she could help the little girl feel accepted and proud to be who she is, which sounds just like something Addy would do.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 19, 2005 05:19 PM: Message edited by: mollymom ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by mollymom:
    What about just after WWII - or maybe just before?

    Then she'd have tons of clothes. And my mother, who would be Molly if she were an AG, says the styles from the pre- and immediately post-war years weren't that different because of all the rationing. The rationing didn't end overnight.

    Maybe she could be from England, fleeing from the Blitz. Or a Jewish girl in hiding, sent here to escape the Nazis.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What about the English girl who comes to live with Molly's family?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    mollymom's idea: And Addy- no one take offense to this please- but Addy seemed to have a little problem with white people for a while. Because the only white people she'd known had been mean to her I guess. Maybe you could write a story where Addy gets to be friends with the girl and realizes that they're not all the same and they'd be friends. They could both teach eachother things.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ July 19, 2005 05:26 PM: Message edited by: StarTrekCaptain ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    balletmom's idea: she could be emily but i don't think she'd look much like her because emily was supposed to have very straight, limp hair...of course, after seeing how they changed nellie and elizabeth, AG could at some point make an emily who looks like shirley temple lol [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to be honest...I do not intend to create a story for this doll. I simply want to name her, and dress her. She doesn't really have to have a logical connection to any of the AGs. I was thinking about making her a third friend of Lissie and Elizabeth, since between the two of them, they will have more clothes. While I love Molly's time period, I don't really like the clothes availabe for her. I'd really love to give her Josefina's three dresses (the ones that aren't skirts), but I'd feel so bad depriving Josefina!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! She's sitting on my couch at home right now (I'm at work), just waiting for a name. I call her "The Doll" right now! I'm more partial to the periods further back, though it IS tempting to get her the clothes that are too nice for Addy and Kirsten, and make her a city girl in the 1850s-60s. (ie, Midsummer dress, Cape Island Dress, etc)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I guess we did go a bit nuts!

    I would put her in the 1860s. Popular names back then included Chloe, Hannah, Mary, Emma, and Emily.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member beccachris's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mayergirl~

    I have AGT21 and did the very thing you're talking about. I originally intended for her to wear clothes from Addy's time period and I named her Virginia after I researched popular names in that time period.

    Here is a link to my album with pics showing her in some of Addy's outfits:

    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2131967099

    Then I started using her to model some of the Felicity dresses I was making and she looks fabulous as a colonial girl too - I actually prefer her in the colonial time period. Here is a link to that album:

    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2130395823

    Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •